วันเสาร์ที่ 21 มกราคม พ.ศ. 2555

History of Chinese New Year

3 ความคิดเห็น:

john francis lee กล่าวว่า...

Hi Joy,

Do you like films with English subtitles?

Ever seen Last Train Home?

It's a documentary about the Chinese people, their migrations away from home to the big cities in search of work, and their consequent mass migration back home for the New Year, and about a particular family throughout.

http://btdigg.org/search?info_hash=f5728fe3c4ea96d864a81a19112e5f61bc831c7d&q=Last%20Train%20Home

Happy New Year.

Me กล่าวว่า...

JFL, thanks for yr comment .
Yes I have seen it.Is it a documentary? It is quite interesting, but also depressing. I watched the film quite a while back, but still remember the girl's frustration quite vividly.

jfl กล่าวว่า...

It's billed as a documentary... I took all the people and their relationships to be real, to be actual.

I think the 'depressing' part is the fruit of 21st century capitalism, which is 'burning the barn' in China right now.

I guess I'm depressed, too... but what a great opportunity for us all, as a desperate last measure, to take charge ourselves!

And to humanize the inhuman world that's grown up around us all, worldwide.

Thanks for remembering me... If you write 'jfl'... would you do it that way? I'm very fond of the descendant j on john, and it's complemented so well by the f's crozier, and even by the outward curved foot of the l ;) And the block letters make me look over my shoulder to see just whom it is you're really addressing.

I have a friend who's studying linguistics as part of her degree requirement for advancement in the Education Ministry and I read out some so-called 'tongue twisters' to try to help her practice her own and her students to practice their own pronunication... she has to recite a selection of them for an oral examination at any rate.

Maybe you or your students might like to listen...

http://robinlea.com/TongueTwisters/

Try to keep from wincing at my wimpy voice :)

Stuff like that seems a good idea to me, because I only have to work it up once... and then people can listen and listen all they want, and the machine never gets tired of saying the same thing over and over and over. Or not. Mai ben rai. I listen myself sometimes just for fun :)

What do you think? Is it helpful? I'm thinking of doing minimal pairs next... do you think it'd be worthwhile?